Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Summing it Up: Reflecting on "New Insights on Technology Adoption in Schools"

I found the article "New Insights on Technology Adoption in Schools" (Sherry et al., 2000) interesting, especially their concept that educators move through stages of technology adoption and ultimately reach a stage of reaffirmation or rejection.  I'm not sure, to be honest, whether rejection is really an option for educators who wish to stay in the field.  Even most logistical processes, such as grading and taking attendance, are usually done online now.  If we analog natives (since there has to be a name for us, too!) can learn to do these administrative tasks by computer, then surely we can find a way to integrate technology in our teaching...

At the same time, I do think the article is correct in noting that "Although it is not necessary within a school for the principal to be a technology leader, it is essential that organizational support be visible." (Sherry et al, 2000, p.3).  At my school last year that was certainly true, my principal encouraged technology use but I wouldn't have called him a technology leader.  On the other hand, we had a fantastic technology support person who facilitated a lot of cutting edge applications, despite the fact that we were in an older building with mostly older computers. 

Regarding where I am on the technology adoption scale, I would say I am in the co-exploring phase with my students.  The negative aspect of this is that I am frequently uncertain and make mistakes as I set things up, and even sometimes during a lesson.  The postitive aspect is that I don't have a big ego about it (since it's so obvious that I don't have mastery!) and that invites students to help.  Without any prompting they often make suggestions or jump up to help.  So that is good, it makes for cooperation between us, and they know they have a made a real contribution to the running of the class.

What this means to my future as an educator is not totally clear, I see myself continuing to fumble, but more or less in a forward direction. I gained a number of new tools from the text and the course, and I realized to my surprise I had already been making "think sheets" for my students without knowing what they were called... I also encountered a lot of new tools that I still need to work on before I'll feel comfortable with them.  That is probably all right, hopefully I do have the next 5-10 years to develop.  It's either do that, or be stuck sitting in a corner, unable to communicate with anyone because I don't understand the digital tools. 

At the same time, I don't know that I'll last as a classroom teacher beyond another 10 years, I'll be 55 then!  I do have more goals for documentary filmmaking, and I will probably continue to involve students in some way.  They love it, the "hook" is the camera and idea of making a film, but then suddenly they're also learning interview skills and researching and writing.  So that is great, but I need to develop my skills on the technical side.  Another goal I have in the next 5-10 years is to expand my grant writing, and use that as a way to increase my students' access to technology.  When I get settled in my new school I plan to seek grant opportunities to get laptops for the kids, and also video cameras.


"New Insights on Technology Adoption in Schools".  Sherry, Lorraine et al. http://www.thejournal.com/. 1 February 2000   http://thejournal.com/Articles/2000/02/01/New-Insights-on-Technology-Adoption-in-Schools.aspx?Page=4  accessed 22 June 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment