Friday, May 27, 2011

Where the Rubber Meets the Road

I was thinking today about the integration of technology into the process of record-keeping, especially in Special Education, because I almost got Carpal Tunnel Syndrome completing forms about testing accomodations for the EOGs.  (I have been living an epic EOG experience in which I have been administering EOGs in various settings for the past two weeks, and it will continue next week but that is another story...)

Anyway, the point is, we have all this detailed information  in GoalView software about students' IEPs and their needs and their legally required accomodations.  Then along comes EOG testing, and we take many of those details and write them over and over on these poorly-reproduced forms that have to be signed (I am not kidding) four times-- three times by the test administrator/teacher, and once by the principal.  The same form must be completed for each child, each time s/he tests.  There is no match at all between what is technologically possible, and what actually happens where the rubber meets the road during one of the busiest times of the year. 

I couldn't program my way out of a paper bag, but I have no doubt the developers of the GoalView software could come up with some kind of app to perform this function!  Then, however, they would have to be sufficiently motivated, which would involve spending in these crazy budgetary times....

No comments:

Post a Comment