Saturday, May 21, 2011

Computers and Instructional Approach

As a teacher who always leans toward a student-centered approach, I like the opportunities offered by computers, while at the same time I struggle with a number of  challenges.  These challenges include limited access to good computers in the high-poverty school where I have been teaching, deficits in social skills that make cooperative work challenging for my Special Education students, and my own learning curve when it comes to utilizing new technology in the classroom. 

The Reflection questions in chapter one of our text ask whether using computer requires an inquiry-based approach.  I think it's safe to say no, not necessarily, as many educational websites are made for an individual student to receive immediate feedback on individual work.  One good example is www.ixl.com, which helps students practice math specific math skills and is broken down by grade level and topic.  As good as sites like this are, they don't build critical thinking skills or communication skills.

Thus far, I realize most of my use of computers in the classroom has been for skill reinforcement or research.  I did do one project with my students that required that required them to gather information and write a "letter to the editor" about a real-world problem, namely, the potential environmental and health impacts of a proposed cement plant.  I like the NETS emphasis on authentic problems (NETS-S 4a) , and I look forward to gaining new skills that will allow me to do a better job of coaching my students in this direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment